Psychosynthesis was founded by an Italian psychiatrist and neurologist, Robert Assagioli. It is a holistic counselling therapy, which embraces physical, emotional, mental and spiritual aspects of the human experience.
The premise of Psychosynthesis is that:
- each individual has a unique self – which we sometimes call our ‘true essence’
- the self consists of different parts e.g. ‘critic’, ‘victim’ etc.
- problems are perceived as opportunities for growth
- the human spirit has the energy and capacity to heal and regenerate
- the self has the wisdom to unfold more of itself to enable the unique potential to be actualised
- connecting with the Transpersonal (a Higher Self) enables us to get in touch with deeper values and purpose
- facilitates the discovery of parts and their qualities that are hidden or underdeveloped, in order to heal and shine
- works with the client to harmonise the different parts
- addresses destructive and negative patterns that keeps the client stuck